Friday, March 14, 2008

Inspiration

As an author I'm always asked where I get my ideas. What inspires me to write a particular storyline?
Life inspires. All you need to do is take a good look around you. The Sinclare brothers Cavan, Artair, Lachlan and Ronan might have introduced themselves to me, but raising my three sons Tim, Matt and Marc gave me the inspiration to write about brothers. I watched how my sons could torment each other through the years, but when it came to one of them needing help in defending against a foe, they united. Of course, they also covered up for one another. The truth only surfacing when they got older, and it was too late for repercussions.
It was raising my sons that helped me to understand how to write a scene when Cavan and Artair physically battle and Lachlan warns Honora to stay out of it and let them settle it. And it was the unspoken, yet defined-by-action love my sons have for each other that inspired the three Sinclare brothers never-ending search for their missing brother Ronan.
Sibling torment and blame isn't only relegated to brothers. Sisters are good at it too. When my twin sister and I get together we now and again disagree over past events. Of course, being older (10 mins.) and wiser, I'm right and she's wrong. But then that inspired two books - The Daring Twin and The Bewitching Twin.
Life - how it does inspire!

2 comments:

FusionSpawn said...

well i had a good one typed but no account now it want's me to reenter all i wrote, well i'll make it brief this time. YOur great I'm hard to please in terms of books and had seen this ine but put off buying in until i read a few others (regretted that) I was looking online to see if the whole series was out and this was just republised so i could go out an dbuy the rest of your books--no such luck in this series but it looks as if you have a others I will have to pick up. My husbands going to kill me if you strat writting hardback books as it is i spend to much on books and Kenyon's boos when they come out. Antway look forward to more; when's the next book scheduled? lol

Donna Fletcher said...

The next book Under The Highlander's Spell, which is Artair's story will be in bookstores in October.
Glad to hear you enjoyed Return of the Rogue!